Application process - MPhil and PhD
Please ensure that you meet all the admissions requirements for the program you are applying for. These include minimum standards of academic achievement, qualifications and completed degrees, English Language requirements, etc. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee selection.
Along with the online application, applicants for both the MPhil and PhD should provide:
1. Research proposal and applicant information
- Research proposal
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research experience
- Academic results and proof of graduation
- English language requirements
3. Supporting information
- Publications / Creative and Design works
Applicants for graduate research programs in the MSD must include a research proposal. The proposal should be two to three pages (1,500-2,000 words) in length and address the following:
- The research question expressed briefly and in simple English (it can include technical terms)
- An explanation of the problem(s) to be explored, or hypotheses to be tested (aims and background)
- The significance of the research
- The sources of information to be used, including a preliminary bibliography
- A suggested work plan, including stages of research and timeline
- An indication of potential problems
- Personal experience in the proposed area of study and the reasons for wishing to undertake such study
Applicants are required to provide a curriculum vitae (résumé) in the approved format. Your professional experience must demonstrate current knowledge/experience in the discipline in which you plan to undertake your research.
All references must be submitted using the online tool
- Applicants must provide contact details for their referees in the online application form.
- On submission of your application, the referees will be emailed a link to access the Graduate Research Referee tool and they must provide their references using this online tool.
- You will be notified when they submit the reference.
It is important that you contact your referees well before submitting an application. This ensures they expect the request for a reference and understand that the University of Melbourne referee request email contains both instructions on how to access the tool and submit their references through the attached link.
Evidence of research experience
Applicants are required to have conducted a research project equivalent to 25% of a year’s full-time study at fourth year honours or Master level. Applicants transcripts must clearly show when the 25% research project was completed. If this is not clear from the transcript a letter from the University/supervisor should be attached as evidence.
Academic results and proof of graduation
Include original or copies of your results with your application, together with a grading scale used by the University (faculty/department) where you completed your 4-year Bachelor (Hons) degree and/or Master degree. If there is no proof of graduation on your transcript you must include an original or copy of the graduation certificate with your application.
Publications / journals
Applicants may submit supporting evidence of relevant academic publications in journals, or other publications if applicable, and/or creative works (e.g. folios, design projects etc.).
Application dates and selection
The Melbourne School of Design graduate research selection committee appraises all applications for the MPhil and PhD programs. Selection is on the merit and quality of all aspects of the application. If your application is approved, the committee may also make suggestions for a supervisor if you haven’t already established a relationship with one. The MSD does not require you to have nominated a potential supervisor in your application.
Applications for graduate research programs in the MSD are assessed in the following application rounds:
|Application deadline||Meeting date|
|3 February 2017||17 February 2017|
|10 March 2017||24 March 2017|
|21 April 2017||28 April 2017|
|2 May 2017||26 May 2017|
|9 June 2017||23 June 2017|
|14 July 2017||4 August 2017|
|11 August 2017||25 August 2017|
|22 September 2017||6 October 2017|
|20 October 2017||3 November 2017|
|10 November 2017||24 November 2017|
How to apply
Apply now via Melbourne Future Students.
International applicants may also apply through an authorised agent in your country
If you need more information before submitting your application, we are here to help.
Call us: 13 6352 | International: +(61 3) 9035 5511
Further information: futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/info/research