Please ensure that you meet all the admissions requirements for the program you are applying for and follow the checklist below to apply.
1. Entry Requirements
For students coming from an Engineering undergraduate degree:
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in Engineering with a minimum GPA of 65% (equivalent to the University of Melbourne grading scheme)
- Design Folio
- One Architectural History subject
For students coming from an Architecture undergraduate degree:
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in Architecture with a minimum GPA of 65% (equivalent to the University of Melbourne grading scheme)
- Maths attainment equivalent to Calculus 2 + Linear Algebra + two Science subjects
- Design Folio
2. Submission of academic results
Provide an original or copy of your academic transcript together with a grading scale used by the University (or Faculty/Department) where you completed your undergraduate degree.
Please ensure any transcripts for studies completed as part of a study abroad/exchange program are included as well as transcripts for subjects transferred/credited towards your degree.
If you have completed your Bachelor degree at the University of Melbourne you do not need to submit a hard copy of your results.
3. English language
All applicants must satisfy the University's English Language Requirements.
4. Personal statement
Applications for the Master of Architectural Engineering require a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining prior study, work experience, and motivation to undertake the program.
Your statement can be uploaded via the online application system.
Read about personal statements and how they are assessed.
5. Design portfolio
A design portfolio is required.
Portfolios are to be submitted through the online submission portal Slideroom: https://msd.slideroom.com
You will need to set up a Slideroom account to upload your portfolio after you have completed your University of Melbourne online application and received a University of Melbourne applicant identification number.
Following completion of your online application you will receive a link to the MSD Slideroom portal.
There is a portfolio submission fee of USD$5 which you will need pay before your portfolio can successfully be submitted. You can pay the submission fee using one of the following: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, JCB, Diner’s Club and China Union Pay.
- The file size of your portfolio should not exceed 10 MB
- The number of pages should not exceed 15 single pages. Please note this includes cover page and contents.
- The portfolio must be saved as one PDF file and must be in landscape format
- Note that portfolios are evaluated digitally and should be easily readable with limited zooming or scrolling
Each page of your portfolio should include:
- If your work is a product of university study please specify a short description of the brief, the academic year level of the studio, the subject name and the nature of your involvement (i.e. individual or group work)
- If images are taken from work experience, clearly state the nature of your involvement in the project (drafting, design or other)
- Where a page of the portfolio has multiple images, please label each image
- Applicants for the Master of Architecture 200pt stream are encouraged to use the Design Portfolio Template when compiling their portfolios.
- See how design portfolios are assessed by the Selection Committee: Design Portfolio Matrix
6. Application dates
Final application deadline dates are as follows:
- Semester 1, 2018: apply by Tuesday 31 October 2017
Please note this course does not offer a Semester 2 intake.
Note: International students who are currently admitted to the Bachelor of Environments are required to submit their online application prior to the deadlines listed above. Additional documents such as a design portfolio and/or personal statement can be submitted up until July 07 for Semester 2 2017 and December 01 for Semester 1 2018. The same deadline as domestic applicants.
Semester start dates are available in the Academic Calendar.
If you are an international student, you should hear of the outcome of your application within 8 weeks of submission of your complete application (including all supporting documentation) when applying for the next available intake.
Please be aware that applications which are not for the next immediate intake may take longer to assess as we prioritise applications for the upcoming semester.
Late applications may be accepted in special circumstances; however international students are advised to apply as early as possible to avoid visa delays.
International students may complete the online application form below
Apply through an authorised agent in your country
*Please note applications for the 300 point stream in the Master of Architecture program are only accepted for the semester 1 intake, it is not possible to start this program in semester 2.
If you need more information before submitting your application, we are here to help.