Please ensure that you meet all the admissions requirements for the program you are applying for and follow the checklist below to apply.
1. Completion of an undergraduate degree
Ensure you meet the undergraduate degree (Bachelor degree) prerequisite for the program you would like to apply for.
- A three-year undergraduate degree with a weighted average of at least 65% (equivalent to the University of Melbourne grading scheme) is required to apply for most programs in the MSD
- Three-year undergraduate degrees in related disciplines are required to apply for 200 point stream in the Master programs. If you have completed a three-year undergraduate degree in a non-related discipline you must apply for the 300 point stream in the Master programs
- View the Master of Architecture entry requirements
2. Submission of academic results
Provide an original or copy of your academic transcript together with a grading scale used by the University (or Faculty/Department) where you completed your undergraduate degree.
Please ensure any transcripts for studies completed as part of a study abroad/exchange program are included as well as transcripts for subjects transferred/credited towards your degree.
If you have completed your Bachelor degree at the University of Melbourne you do not need to submit a hard copy of your results.
3. English language
All applicants must satisfy the University's English Language Requirements.
4. Personal statement
Applications for the Master of Architecture require a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining prior study, work experience, and motivation to undertake the program.
Your statement can be uploaded via the online application system.
Read about personal statements and how they are assessed.
5. Design portfolio
A design portfolio is required for the Master of Architecture (both 200 and 300 point streams).
- Portfolios are to be submitted through the online submission portal Slideroom: https://msd.slideroom.com.
- You will need to set up a Slideroom account to upload your portfolio after you have completed your University of Melbourne online application and received a University of Melbourne applicant identification number.
- Following completion of your online application you will receive a link to the MSD Slideroom portal.
There is a portfolio submission fee of USD$5 which you will need pay before your portfolio can successfully be submitted. You can pay the submission fee using one of the following: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, JCB, Diner’s Club and China Union Pay.
- The file size of your portfolio should not exceed 10 MB
- The number of pages should not exceed 15-20 single pages. Please note this includes cover page and contents.
- The portfolio must be saved as one PDF file and must be in landscape format
- Note that portfolios are evaluated digitally and should be easily readable with limited zooming or scrolling
Each page of your portfolio should include:
- If your work is a product of university study please specify a short description of the brief, the academic year level of the studio, the subject name and the nature of your involvement (i.e. individual or group work)
- You must indicate if each project is individual or group work. In the case of group work or a professional project, please indicate roles, responsibilities and the percentage of your input to the design project. You should include only one professional or work experience project in the portfolio unless your undergraduate degree was completed 5 or more years before the date of submission
- Where a page of the portfolio has multiple images, please label each image
- Applicants for the Master of Architecture 200pt stream are encouraged to use the Design Portfolio Template when compiling their portfolios.
- See how design portfolios are assessed by the Selection Committee: Design Portfolio Matrix
6. Application dates
Final application deadline dates are as follows:
- Semester 2, 2018: apply by Monday 30 April 2018
- Semester 1, 2019: apply by Wednesday 31 October 2018
Note: International students who are currently admitted to the Bachelor of Environments are required to submit their online application prior to the deadlines listed above. Additional documents such as a design portfolio and/or personal statement can be submitted up until July 6 for Semester 2, 2018 and November 30 for Semester 1, 2019. The same deadline as domestic applicants.
Semester start dates are available in the Academic Calendar
If you are an international student, you should hear of the outcome of your application within 8 weeks of submission of your complete application (including all supporting documentation) when applying for the next available intake.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Master of Architecture 300 point (3 year)
International applicants must apply online by October 31, 2017. Additional documentation such as design portfolio and personal statement can be supplied by November 30, 2017.
Applications for the Master of Architecture 300 point program will be assessed in December (no late applications accepted). We anticipate that application outcomes for this program will be released in the week before Christmas.
International students may complete the online application form below
Apply through an authorised agent in your country
*Please note applications for the 300 point stream in the Master of Architecture program are only accepted for the semester 1 intake, it is not possible to start this program in semester 2.
If you need more information before submitting your application, we are here to help.