Learn how to design sustainable, best practice urban environments
Urban design is the art of making places. It is a collaborative, multi-disciplinary process which shapes the physical setting for life in urban environments. It involves the design of buildings, groups of buildings, spaces and landscapes, and the establishment of frameworks and processes that facilitate successful development.
In the Master of Urban Design you will get an excellent grounding in urban design theory and complete three intensive design studios to develop expert urban design skills. Through the studios you will explore the importance of place, undertaking fieldwork with professional practice and the wider community to gain practical experience which you can immediately apply in your urban design career.
The program is aimed at those who already hold a three-year undergraduate degree in a related discipline who can demonstrate prior design experience.
The Master of Urban Design is accredited by the Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) and undergoes a regular formal review process to ensure the quality and relevance of the program.
Completing an accredited degree means you enter the workforce with a stamp of quality on your CV. In a competitive market, an accredited degree is an assurance of quality to employers and an advantage for you. For us, it means we continually strive to improve the quality of the degree in order to retain accreditation. So, you know you are getting the most up-to-date and innovative educational experience.
The Master of Urban Design helps develop professionals who are capable of seeing the city from multiple viewpoints and who relish working with interdisciplinary teams.
Throughout the program you will:
- Discover the role of urban design within given spatial, social, economic and political contexts
- Explore the scope, opportunities, complexities and responsibilities of urban design
- Uncover urban design issues and methodology for creating best practice responses
- Develop analytical and design skills for generating and testing alternative approaches to the urban design development of specific sites
You will work closely with fellow students and expert faculty across urban design, planning and landscape architecture, collaborating to come up with innovative urban design solutions.
Upon graduation your skills can be applied in a range of urban design and associated planning roles. Urban design skills are in great demand throughout Australia and the Asia- Pacific region and your expertise in the design of urban public spaces and strategic planning will provide the opportunity to work locally and globally in areas such as:
- Planning authorities including as city councils
- Architecture practices
- Landscape architecture practices
- Planning practices
Graduates from the Master of Urban Design at MSD have gone on to work at many firms in Australia and across the world including:
- Brearley Architects & Urban Designers
- Gerry McLoughin Architect + Urban Design
- Toronto City Planning
- EDAW Limited
- City of Yarra
- Department of Architecture,Ministry of Public Works and Housing, AusAID/Bangladesh
- Hansen Partnership
- City of Monash
- DPM Consultants Inc, Makati, Philippines
- Ministry of Public Works, Jakarta